Apple Strudel is one of the crunchy and savory pastries that you can try to make yourself at home. This Austrian snack is usually made with an apple setup stuffed with sugar and cinnamon.
The sweet and sour taste and crunchy texture that can usually be used as a strudel filling make it suitable as a dessert. But to taste it, you don’t need to go to the country of origin, because you can make it yourself at home with easily available ingredients. Let’s just make Apple Strudel with the following recipe.
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- Puff pastry ready to use size 26 x 24 cm
- 150 grams of sugar
- 30 grams of butter
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- cinnamon powder to taste
- enough flour for greasing
- egg yolk for greasing
Ingredients for the cream:
- 125 ml full cream milk
- 40 grams of powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch/custard flour
- First, we make the filling, heat all the ingredients, except the butter and lime juice. Cook until the sugar dissolves, then add the butter. Cook until the setup is thick and the liquid runs out. After that remove from the stove and add the orange juice. Stir until smooth, then set aside.
- We make the cream while waiting for it to cool. Combine milk, egg yolks, powdered sugar, and cornstarch or custard flour. Heat on the stove over medium heat. Stir until thick, remove from the stove. Add butter, stir and cover with plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator or freezer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Place the puff pastry on a table surface that has been sprinkled with a little flour so it doesn't stick. Spoon the filling in the middle, then bring the sides and edges of the pastry together until the apple filling is covered. Brush the surface with egg yolk.
- Bake the strudel in the oven until fully puffed and golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside. You can also eat it while it's warm.
Enjoy with Cinnamon Hot Chocolate.